I'm a full-stack software engineer. Because of my past work as a designer, front end work is particularly fun to me.
Currently, I work for SigOpt (San Francisco) on a web and API product that helps machine learning modelers with hyperparameter optimization and model analysis. It's a great company with a very positive culture. In 2020, we were acquired by Intel.
Outside of work, you'll find me reading sci-fi, sailing, and birdwatching.
- Plant Boss is about collecting plants and seeing cool critters.
- Smash Banana is a driving game where you drive a boxy Volvo (modeled on my own) into bananas.
- Dogtron is about a herding dog. (Read about it.)
- Flipside is a prototype game mechanic for revealing the path ahead of your character/banana.
- My most difficult UX project: being a UX manager (Ladies That UX Melbourne, March 2018)
- Why writing about concepts before you start sketching will win you money, respect, or well, at least warm fuzzy feelings (article, video) (The Web Meetup, Melbourne, December 2017)
- The Future of Connected Thinking (PDX Digital Marketing Conference, June 2013)
- The History of Written Word Technology (Citizen, Summer 2013)
- My Dear Watson: Personality for Smart Applications (video) (IXDA Interaction Conference 2013)
- Data Visualization (InfoCamp PDX, June 2012)
I consult with companies to plan and design awesome, usable apps and web tools. Clients include the United Nations, Adidas, Spotify, Comcast, Cigna, and AT&T, to name a few. (Portfolio on request.)
Things I get excited about